Monday, May 18, 2009

Wolfram Aplha is just 'another' website

Yes, you read it right. All the hype and talk around the new so called Computational Knowledge Engine - Wolfram Alpha aka Google Killer is nothing more than a euphoria before every new launch. When Cuil was launched, it was also termed as the next 'in' thing. We all know what happened to it. Viewzi also died unceremoniously (well, almost).

After having experienced the new search engine, my point of view on it is very clear, Its just another website and nothing else. When you input any query, you get 'crap' and tonnes of it. The kind of absurd facts and figures that you get would be of no interest to any normal internet user. Take for instance, if you search for advertising. This 'search engine' shows you the input interpretation, typical word frequency, synonyms, narrower terms, broader terms and a complex looking synonym network. Click here to see. What the hell? Mr. Wolfram, I want to search the knowledge on the internet. What you have done is, you have converted a simple dictionary into a complicated looking 'search engine'. I don't need a mathematics based search engine to know synonyms or definitions. Disgusting!

Take another example, I wanted to visit Reliance communications' website. When I typed Reliance Communications, it showed the message - 'Wolfram Alpha is not sure what to do with your input'. See here. Hell. When I typed Reliance, it showed me some absurd details about a US based company. Click here to see.

My reaction - a big thumbs down.

The reason why Google has managed to capture the imagination of the internet audience is -

- Simplicity: Its not about complex coding and algorithms at the back end, the internet user cares a hell about it. You give me what I want, not what you want to show me. Filter the crap. Don't show me irrelevant stuff and most importantly, present it in a simple, easy to digest way.

- Innovation: Google always builds on its existing offerings and simplifies things further. Its ability to innovate has made it what it is today. Showing synonyms and definitions is not innovation. Its using high-tech stuff to take you light years back.

It would be interesting to see whether Wolfram Alpha would be able to compete against Google or not but one thing is clear, someone who prefers simplicity, would stick to Google.

Hail Google!

No comments: